Skip to main content

Fitting it All In

The most difficult aspect of training for a tri for me is time management.  It is imperative that I follow my training schedule as close as possible, but at the same time I must be flexible.  It is too easy for training to take over my life.  The first tri I did, my primary goal was to finish.  Now, I want to compete.  To compete I have to put in the time, but I have to keep things in perspective.  I am very fortunate that I have a very supportive husband who understands how important my training is to me.  He also understands "happy wife, happy life." : - )  Seriously, I really don't know how I would manage everything if my husband was not such a team player.  My only household chores are cooking  and taking the recycling and trash to the curb.  Mr. Adams takes care everything else.  Lucky me!

I do the majority of my workouts at the crack of dawn.  By doing so ensures that my workouts are completed, but it also gives me the rest of the day to juggle everything else that is going on in my life.  I have learned how to say no, but everyone once in a while something unexpected will come up, and my day is bursting at the seams.  On those days I become the ultimate multi-tasker.  It may mean cooking dinner at 5 am while I workout or working on a project while on a conference call.  Either way I usually get it done.

I am so amazed by those triathletes that are parents.  They are the ultimate multi-taskers.  I can't imagine having to manage someone else's day as well as my own .  Kudos to them!

Sometimes I do get overwhelmed, but on those days I take a deep breath and make a to do list.  As I complete each task I become more calm.  And once the to do list is complete, I have a sense of accomplishment.

At the end of the day the most important thing to me is my marriage.  I periodically check-in with Mr. Adams to make sure I am being the attentive wife that I need to be.  Usually I am on point, but every once in a while I falter.  When that occurs I re-evaluate how I am utilizing my time and make the necessary adjustments.  I never want Mr. Adams to feel neglected or unappreciated.  He means the world to me.

Training for a tri and having a life are possible, but it's all about having a good support system and knowing how to utilize your time.  Now what can I fit in before I go to bed?!

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Free

“Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.”   Dorothy Rowe Wow, it’s been 7 months since my last blog post.  So much has happened since then.  I have gone back and forth in my mind about writing this post since it’s so personal, but I believe in my heart that someone needs to read this post.  That by reading this post someone may take that step to get help for themselves. My name is Sabrina Adams and periodically I suffer from bouts of depression.  There, I have put it out there.  I feel free and terrified all at the same time.  My bouts of depression are usually caused by a traumatic event, but sometimes I become depressed for no apparent reason.  Throughout my adult life I have sought help from therapists and in recent years I have been placed on a low dosage antidepressant.  When my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s on New Year’s Eve 2012, I spiraled into depressive state.  I couldn't believe that my beloved mother wou

All I Can Do is Tri

“The only failure is not to try, because putting forth the effort is success in itself.”   The Iron Nun, Sister Madonna Buder My big race, the Monticelloman Olympic Triathlon (1500 meter swim, 24 mile bike, 10k (6.2 mile run)) is less than a week away.   I am a bundle of nerves and energy.   This is supposed to be my taper week, but I know it’s going to be hard to keep still.   My plan is to work on cleaning out my closet, switching out my clothes, and begin reading the ’50 Shades of Gray’ series to keep myself preoccupied.   We’ll see how that goes. I want to say I am 100% confident about this race, but I’m not.   I am still a little concerned about the swim.   I just relearned how to swim freestyle in 10 weeks.   Things are just starting to click for me in the water.   I wish I had more time, but I don’t, my crazy train is almost at its destination.   I told my swim coach that I would do my best not to embarrass her at the race.   She told me that there was no way she could

Finding My Inner Fish

I am a Pisces.   I LOVE the water!   I enjoy listening to the waves crash against the surf at Virginia Beach.   Watching the James River meander through the city relaxes me.   Swimming in the water that I love so much....that’s a different story. As a kid I learned how to survival swim.   I could swim well enough to play in the pool and at Water Country USA without drowning, but that’s about it.   Survival swimming also meant I learned how to swim with my head above the water.   Survival swimming is not something you want to do during a triathlon.   It is inefficient and will cause you to tire out very quickly. Once I got it into my head that I was going to do a sprint triathlon, I knew I had to learn how to swim correctly.   I became a community member at my local YMCA and began taking swimming lessons.   Each lesson was a struggle.   I couldn’t swim 25 meters without stopping several times.   Instead of embracing the water I fought it, or in my mind it fought me.   My swim i