Skip to main content

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

“He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.”  
Friedrich Nietzsche

The year has begun as a mixed bag.  Fortunately it has been more good than bad, and it is only the beginning of the year.  This is my year; I am throwing down the hammer in all aspects of my life, not just with my racing.

THE GOOD:
I have not one, but 2 sponsors for this year’s race season!  CycleOps/PowerTap asked me to come back as a sponsored athlete for 2014 and I was recently chosen by Hammer Nutrition.  I am very blessed and humbled that such incredible companies would choose me to represent them.  They both sell amazing products that I use and offer incredible customer service.  CycleOps is known for their bike trainers and virtual training software.  PowerTap is the brand to choose if you are in need of a power meter.  PowerTap even offers power on a budget with the PowerCal.  I own a Fluid 2 trainer and use the PowerCal. 

Hammer Nutrition has some of the best fueling, recovery, and supplement products on the market.  I use many of their products and can attest how well they work.  My favorite supplements are the Premium Insurance Caps, Mito Caps and Race Caps Supreme which makes up the Daily Essentials Kit.  They serve as the foundation for my supplement program.  My favorite fueling source is Hammer Gel in peanut butter flavor.  It gives me the energy boost that I need with a touch of protein. 

If you have never tried or ordered directly from Hammer Nutrition, CLICK HERE to receive 15% off of your first order!  The 15% does not include shipping.  All of their products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  And when you call, you will not be placed into an annoying phone tree, you actually get to speak to a real person – a person that is very knowledgeable about all of the Hammer products!  So yah me for having 2 awesome sponsors.

THE BAD:
Since the beginning of January I have been fighting a very bad case of bronchitis, or what I like to call the crud.  The crud has lingered for a month and I am just finally getting back to my old self.  Unfortunately the crud caused me to miss 4 days of work and multiple days of training.  Missing 4 days of work wasn’t too bad since I have a back-up who can do my work when needed.  In regards to my training, I don’t have a back-up, and training for Ironman Mont Tremblant is not going to train itself.  My coach and my mentor had to talk me off the edge because I was freaking about how much training I had missed.  I know for me to be successful at IMMT, I need all the training I can get, especially in the water and on the bike.  In 3 days I will have exactly 6 months until IMMT.  I’m trying to keep myself calm, but it’s hard to do when I feel as if my back is against the wall. I know I am placing unnecessary pressure on myself, but that is how I am.

THE UGLY:
Even though my mom is on two Alzheimer’s medications, the disease has progressed recently.  Not to the point that I feel concerned about her living on her own, but to the point in which I have realized that her medications can only do so much.  Recently she has been referring to one of her deceased brothers in the present tense.  I don’t even try to correct her because all that would do is upset her.  I just let her talk and wait for the right time to change the subject.  I am just praying and hoping the disease keeps progressing at its current slow rate.  The medications that my mom is on are allegedly effective for 2 years.  This is year number 2.

One of the things that have helped me to cope is my neighbor’s cat, Sophie.  Sophie is a beautiful tabby cat that has adopted me.  Sophie’s owners keep her outside, so she is kind of the neighborhood cat.  She would usually visit me when I would pull up in my driveway.  I would let her jump into my vehicle with me and I would hold her for several minutes.  At times she would try to come into my home, but I wouldn't let her.  In the past month it has been very cold and Sophie has been outside.  My husband, Mr. Adams, decided that we needed to bring her inside.                                                       

Sophie has been visiting with us ever since.  I love all animals, but I have never considered myself a cat person.  Sophie has changed all that.  She follows commands, is very affectionate, loves to play, and knows when I am feeling down.  Sophie refuses to use a litter box, but she will go to the door to let me know when she is ready to go out, and stands by the door when she is ready to come back in.  Surprisingly my neighbors have not come looking for her.  Mr. Adams and I went to speak to the owner after the first night we kept Sophie.  The owner was not alarmed and was rather cool about it.  I know sooner or later I will need to meet with the owner and discuss transferring ownership to Mr. Adams and me.  We have both grown attach to her and love her very much.  She is part of our family.

I am still raising funds through the Alzheimer’s Association’s Athletes to Alzheimer’s to fund research, care and support.  If you would like to help me reach my $10,000 goal, please CLICK HERE.           






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Free

“Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.”   Dorothy Rowe Wow, it’s been 7 months since my last blog post.  So much has happened since then.  I have gone back and forth in my mind about writing this post since it’s so personal, but I believe in my heart that someone needs to read this post.  That by reading this post someone may take that step to get help for themselves. My name is Sabrina Adams and periodically I suffer from bouts of depression.  There, I have put it out there.  I feel free and terrified all at the same time.  My bouts of depression are usually caused by a traumatic event, but sometimes I become depressed for no apparent reason.  Throughout my adult life I have sought help from therapists and in recent years I have been placed on a low dosage antidepressant.  When my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s on New Year’s Eve 2012, I spiraled into depressive state.  I couldn't believe that my beloved mother wou

All I Can Do is Tri

“The only failure is not to try, because putting forth the effort is success in itself.”   The Iron Nun, Sister Madonna Buder My big race, the Monticelloman Olympic Triathlon (1500 meter swim, 24 mile bike, 10k (6.2 mile run)) is less than a week away.   I am a bundle of nerves and energy.   This is supposed to be my taper week, but I know it’s going to be hard to keep still.   My plan is to work on cleaning out my closet, switching out my clothes, and begin reading the ’50 Shades of Gray’ series to keep myself preoccupied.   We’ll see how that goes. I want to say I am 100% confident about this race, but I’m not.   I am still a little concerned about the swim.   I just relearned how to swim freestyle in 10 weeks.   Things are just starting to click for me in the water.   I wish I had more time, but I don’t, my crazy train is almost at its destination.   I told my swim coach that I would do my best not to embarrass her at the race.   She told me that there was no way she could

Finding My Inner Fish

I am a Pisces.   I LOVE the water!   I enjoy listening to the waves crash against the surf at Virginia Beach.   Watching the James River meander through the city relaxes me.   Swimming in the water that I love so much....that’s a different story. As a kid I learned how to survival swim.   I could swim well enough to play in the pool and at Water Country USA without drowning, but that’s about it.   Survival swimming also meant I learned how to swim with my head above the water.   Survival swimming is not something you want to do during a triathlon.   It is inefficient and will cause you to tire out very quickly. Once I got it into my head that I was going to do a sprint triathlon, I knew I had to learn how to swim correctly.   I became a community member at my local YMCA and began taking swimming lessons.   Each lesson was a struggle.   I couldn’t swim 25 meters without stopping several times.   Instead of embracing the water I fought it, or in my mind it fought me.   My swim i